freetds - Re: OK, DBD::Sybase/FreeTDS interaction problem.

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Brian Bruns <camber AT umcc.ais.org>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: OK, DBD::Sybase/FreeTDS interaction problem.
  • Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 21:14:21 -0400 (EDT)

Jaye,

Ok, everything is checked into CVS to fix this one. We ended up with one
part kludge and one part the right way :-)

Seriously, there is a small kludge which needs to be fixed later but most
of it is looking good. I'm still thinking about what is done in the
TDS layer and whether changes are needed there or whether it should be
handled in the ctlib/dblib layer. So, I'm going to let that stew for a
couple of days 'til I'm happy with one approach. BTW, this all did work
at one point in time but was 'fixed' when I implemented DBROWS() I think.

I wasn't able to do a whole lot of testing but I tested the following
cases:

1) no rows/no results (example: use pubs2)
2) rows/results (example: select * from authors)
3) no rows/results (example: select * from authors where 0=1)
4) multiple result sets (example: sp_help authors)

So, I think its ok, but I'd like everybody to check in out on your own
stuff just to be sure.

Brian

On Tue, 28 Sep 1999, Jaye Mathisen wrote:

> I'm running on FreeBSD, using FreeTDS 0.46, and DBD::Sybase-0.19,
> DBI-1.12. The server is currently running SQL 6.5, SP 5A.
>
> The dopey question I asked about the rowcount thing turned out to
> have a bit more significance than I first thought, because my problem
> was that I couldn't detect queries that returned 0 rows.
>
> The following output occurs from the enclosed (short) script. I don't
> believe the while() loop should succeed, because the query returns 0 rows.
> But I get this error message, rather than just skipping the loop.
>
> Here's the output:
>
> backmaster# ./ex.pl
> Unknown property 7
> Retrieving data 0
> no statement executing at ./ex.pl line 44.
>
> The query is "select * from customer where 1=0". sysusers can
> be substituted easily for customer, the point is just to return
> 0 rows. And you'll have to change the "use plat" to "use
> whateverdatabase".
>
> Any ideas on what to look for?

[snip]