freetds - RE: Version 0.45

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Michael Peppler <mpeppler AT peppler.org>
  • To: "TDS Development Group" <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Version 0.45
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1999 07:04:15 -0700 (PDT)

Brian Bruns writes:

> On Fri, 9 Jul 1999, Craig Burton wrote:
>
> > Brian,
> >
> > Sorry for the hiatus - had some other devel to do,
> > but am now back on the process of making my perl
> > script talk to MSSQL7.0.
> >
> > Can you please remind me of whether I need to recompile
> > perl without -ldbm etc as Michael Peppler says?
> >
> > I actually use ndbm in this script - I guess this means
> > all by db stuff becomes sql... can one not use ndbm
> > and sybperl together some how?
> >
> From my understanding you can not run sybperl and dbm at the same time
> (not sure whether gdbm suffers the same problem). Basically the issue is
> that both libraries have a dbopen() fuction.

If both libraries are dynamically built, and loaded at run time then
you should be able to use both simultaneously (at least on linux and
Solaris - SunOS 4.x is a different story)

> If there is no other way (by
> the way...I seem to have DBD::Sybase working other than some prepared
> statement stuff doesn't work, but it is severely not tested)...anyway if
> you are absolutely between a rock and a hard place on this...(drum roll
> please!) Tada! the beauty of source. edit freetds change all references
> for dbopen() to sybdbopen() or some such, do the same for sybperl and
> recompile and install both. Not reccomended, by it does in a pinch.

That reminds me of the games we had to play with sybperl 1.x/perl3 and
perl4, where perl had a function called savestr(), which is used by
the normal DBlibrary too (to move data to the DBPROC command buffer
list when you use dbcmd() or dbfcmd().

I ended up including a little script to do a binary edit of the perl
object code to change _savestr to _psvestr :-)

Michael
--
Michael Peppler -||- Data Migrations Inc.
mpeppler AT peppler.org -||- http://www.mbay.net/~mpeppler