freetds - Re: Clarification of dependencies and licensing issues.

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: "Brian Bruns" <camber AT ais.org>
  • To: freetds
  • Subject: Re: Clarification of dependencies and licensing issues.
  • Date: Wed, 7 Apr 1999 19:1:4

Sorry for the late follow up. I've been working on some code for a linux
weather
station and been short on time. I just had a small correction to make
here. The ODBC, ctlib, and dblib pieces are under the LGPL not the GPL.
They are thus free to be linked against proprietary apps, but changes made
and distributed to FreeTDS itself need to be included.

While we are at this Craig, how would you feel about a duel licensing
arrangement for the whole mess? I would be willing to license my pieces
under both LGPL and BSDish license (preferably sans the advertising clause)
if you are. There are a couple others who have contributed enough that
they'd have to give their blessing, but what do you think? This would
similar to Perl's multiple licensing scheme.

Brian

On 03/22/99, "Craig Spannring <cts AT internetcds.com>" wrote:
> There seems to be a little confusion about what the various FreeTDS
> libraries depend on and their licensing.
>
> freetds_jdbc and freetds_dbd are self-contained and use a BSD-style
> license. They are freely usable for commercial projects. Neither one
> uses any of the other FreeTDS code.
>
> In other words if you want a JDBC driver the only thing you need to
> download is freetds_jdbc.tgz. If you want DBD then all you need to
> download is freetds_dbd.tgz.
>
> FreeTDS odbc, dblib and ctlib require the tds library and are licensed
> under GPL. If you want to use FreeTDS dblib, odbc, or ctlib for a
> commercial application you should check with your legal department
> before starting.
>
> --
> Life is short. | Craig Spannring
> Ski hard, Bike fast. | cts AT internetcds.com
> Any sufficiently horrible technology is indistinguishable from Perl.

  • Re: Clarification of dependencies and licensing issues., Brian Bruns, 01/29/2024