freetds - Re: Misc. newbie questions

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Gregg Jensen <greggj AT savvis.com>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Misc. newbie questions
  • Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 10:47:26 -0500

Craig Spannring wrote:

> I went to http://franklin.oit.unc.edu/cgi-bin/lyris.pl?join=freetds
> and joined the mailing list, but I recieved no instructions on
> what address to use to send messages to the list. (I'm using
> the web page to send this one, but I'd prefer using my own mailer.)
> What is the list address?

You should be able to send to: freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu

> Seriously though, on the FreeTDS page is says that TDS 4.2 and 5.0 is
> targeted. Is 5.0 a Sysbase-only version? I've never seen that
> version number in any packet dumps of any of the M$ products I'm
> using to generate test packets with.

Yes, MS-SQL Server 6.5 only uses TDS 4.2 and Sybase is at 5.0. At the
current
state of freetds there is a bit of basic functionality, that I actually use
on a
daily basis (nothing fancy but it makes me a bit more productive). There is
a lot
of room to add more developers, as most of the functions are just stubs.

For what it is worth, I have been able to link in the dblib library with
sqsh-1.4
and sybperl-2.09.04 with a bit of success. In the current release, there is
support for specifying the protocol version for a connection for ctlib. With
small addition, dblib can do it as well. Now I am able to go to MS-SQL
server and
get a value that is used in a sql call to Sybase all within one perl script
(from my
Linux box). This particular ability helps my productivity considerably.

Gregg Jensen