freetds - Re: Crazy idea

freetds AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: FreeTDS Development Group

  • From: Gregg Jensen <greggj AT savvis.com>
  • To: TDS Development Group <freetds AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Crazy idea
  • Date: Tue, 11 Aug 1998 09:08:54 -0500

Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:

> I am not a Windows developer, so this may be completely off the wall, but
> on Windows I know I can by-pass ODBC and talk directly to MS-SQL using the
> libraries that are part of this package:
>
> http://backoffice.microsoft.com/downtrial/moreinfo/sqlutili.asp
>
> What are the chances of me being able to use the Wine API (www.winehq.com)
> to use these libraries on Linux?
>
> Ok, I can see the confused looks from you guys already... ;)

So, you want to write a windows application on Linux? Do those libraries
have test
programs, if so try them out with wine. If they run successfully, then there
is no
reason you can't write an application that uses the wine library to access
SQL
server. With the current state of wine, the responsiveness might not be that
great,
but that may not be a priority in your situation (ie, you just want to see if
its
possible).

Gregg Jensen

  • Crazy idea, Rasmus Lerdorf, 08/10/1998
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: Crazy idea, Gregg Jensen, 08/11/1998