fingerlakespermaculture - PAN Webinar Registration open: A Conversation on Permaculture and Disaster Relief 1/26

  • From: "patty love/Barefoot Permaculture" <patty AT barefootpermaculture.com>
  • To: <fingerlakespermaculture AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: PAN Webinar Registration open: A Conversation on Permaculture and Disaster Relief 1/26
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2018 17:49:02 -0500

Introducing a new webinar series hosted by the Permaculture Association of the Northeast (PAN).  We will host a series of webinars designed to answer the question from our members, “What can we do now that we’ve finished our Permaculture Design Certification (PDC) course?”  We will examine a number of permaculture career pathways local to the Northeast and all across the world.  Our first topic of discussion is highlighting permaculture-based disaster relief efforts by women working in Puerto Rico, Nepal and Austria.

Registration:  Free for PAN Members – must register
PAN Members Register via email:  click here and we’ll send you call in information
Non-members can our membership or pay $10 or $20 to attend/access the recording

http://northeastpermaculture.org/webinar/

A Conversation on Permaculture and Disaster Relief: Shifting from aid and dependence to solidarity and self determination

Date/Time:  Friday January 26th 10-11 AM USA ET

A conversation with Tara Rodriguez Besosa, Prabina Shrestha and Pippa Buchanan hosted by the Permaculture Association of the Northeast (PAN) and sponsored by Resilience Planning and Design, NH. Learn how these practitioners are using permaculture-based skills to help in disaster relief efforts as a form of solidarity and social justice work in their respective countries of Puerto Rico, Nepal, and Australia.

Pippa Buchanan is a resilience and sustainability educator based in Linz, Austria and originally from Adelaide, Australia.  Her focus is in working with individuals and groups to discuss, experiment and develop how they can develop safe and abundant futures for their households, organisations and communities. She is also a researcher at Permaculture and Disaster Risk Reduction.  Pippa’s work is informed by permaculture, community-driven action and open technologies and processes.

Prabina Shrestha is the Village/Program Coordinator of Nepal's Resilience Through Recovery program.  Her work is focused in Nuwakot and Kavre, two villages in the center region of Nepal (Katmandu).  RTR is the program started from a need to see an integration of  Permaculture systems response with the rebuilding community after the 2015 earthquake.  Local partner, the Himalayan Permaculture Centre, supports locally trained barefoot consultants, while the Kamala Foundation provides financial support to Prabina's Sunrise Farm to help with coordination.  Prabina says, "We are working in two villages.  In both cases nearly 100% of houses were destroyed or damage."

Tara Rodríguez Besosa of the Food Department, manages The Resilience Fund of Puerto Rico, which is based on five support pillars: Seeds + Sowing directed by Mara Nieves / Reforestation led by Steve Maldonado Silvestrini from La Reselva / Renewable Energy / Water Collection of Rain / Well-being.  Says Tara, “The Resilience Fund aims to impact 200 plantings in the next 24 months after the passage of Hurricane Maria. Support for sustainable agriculture is of great value for the just recovery of our country. Puerto Rico deserves well-being, health, prosperity and local food that does not pollute our ecosystems.”

The Resilience Fund collaborates with other projects and organizations that can contribute towards these five pillars, managing to pool efforts between projects and resources. The “Guagua Solidaria” is our vehicle to give support around the islands of Puerto Rico through brigades, which are free and open to all types of agro-ecological planting; farms, community gardens, school gardens, home plantings. The bus comes with seeds for each planting that is visited, tools and equipment for construction and agriculture, camping equipment, a mobile kitchen, and a group of volunteers. La Guagua allows us to provide efficient support to each place visited, being a useful tool to raise our food system and our agroecological community.

Registration:  Free for PAN Members – must register
PAN Members Register via email:  click here and we’ll send you call in information
Non-members can our membership or pay $10 or $20 to attend/access the recording

http://northeastpermaculture.org/webinar/

Warmly,
patty love, MALS, PDC
PAN Board Assistant & Coordinator
admin AT northeastpermaculture.org
PAN's website | Facebook | Twitter
~PAN – a member network connecting Permies in the Northeast~

  • PAN Webinar Registration open: A Conversation on Permaculture and Disaster Relief 1/26, patty love/Barefoot Permaculture, 01/16/2018