fingerlakespermaculture - Forest Garden Work Day, Wellesley College, 9/21 10-4

  • From: Dave Jacke <davej AT edibleforestgardens.com>
  • To: Finger Lakes PC listserv <fingerlakespermaculture AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Forest Garden Work Day, Wellesley College, 9/21 10-4
  • Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2013 15:15:01 -0400

Forest Garden Work Day

Saturday Sept 21, 10 AM - 4 PM

Edible Ecosystem Teaching Garden (EETG)

Wellesley College Botanic Gardens

Now ending its third year of establishment, the Edible Ecosystem Teaching Garden has come a long way, and still has a long way to go.  Some of the polycultures have been in place for three growing seasons now, and they continue to evolve.  Others are newer establishments teaching us lots as they adapt to their context.  There may even be some almonds ready to harvest… unless they are all eaten by then!

This work day with Wellesley College students, staff, and community members will help us consolidate the gains of the 2013 growing season, shift in response to challenges from which we’ve learned, and set the garden up for even greater success in 2014.  During the day we will:

  • Review where the garden has come from and where we think it is going;
  • Manage, explore, and document vegetation in the existing polycultures, including learning about the new smartphone app Wellesley has created for tracking plants and polycultures over time;
  • Consolidate and support existing plantings with compost, mulch and maybe some replanting work;
  • Install simple earthworks/pathways for improved passive irrigation in the Fruit Woodland.

While doing the above you’ll meet, work with, and learn from:

  • Dave Jacke, lead garden designer and author of Edible Forest Gardens,
  • Kristina Jones, Botanic Gardens Director,
  • Kim Almeida, farmer and permaculture designer/teacher,
  • as well as a host of cool folks interested in and connected to this garden!

What to bring:

  • Your own lunch, hat, water, work gloves and other self-care items;
  • Tools.  Please put your name on all of them! We’ll need:
    • iron rakes, hoes, shovels, wheelbarrows if you can bring them
    • your favorite weeding or chop and drop tools: hori-hori knife, dandelion root remover tool, trowel, loppers, hedge shears, etc.
Where to go:

The EETG lies west and downhill of the Whitin Observatory, which lies north of the Science Center, on the Wellesley College campus: 106 Central St., Wellesley, MA.  The campus lies in the corner between Routes 135W and 16S in the town of Wellesley.  Google maps will point you there if you search for “Whitin Observatory, Wellesley, MA.”

Park near the Science Center and walk to the Whitin Observatory please!

-------------
Dave Jacke
Dynamics Ecological Design
33 E. Taylor Hill Rd. • Montague, MA • 01351
603-831-1298 • davej AT edibleforestgardens.com

Visit www.edibleforestgardens.com for information on or to purchase my award-winning two-volume book, Edible Forest Gardens.

Mark Krawczyk and I are now writing a new book on Coppice Agroforestry!  Find out more at
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/coppiceagroforestry/dave-and-mark-write-a-coppice-agroforestry-book and support our effort by sending a check to the address above—we will honor the same rewards listed on the kickstarter website for any donations sent now.

   “Teach this triple truth to all:
    a generous heart,
    kind speech,
    and a life of service and compassion
    are the things which renew humanity.”
         Buddha

  • Forest Garden Work Day, Wellesley College, 9/21 10-4, Dave Jacke, 09/10/2013