fingerlakespermaculture - What's happening at Wood's Earth ~ yoga & scything workshops, a school food fundraiser and more!

  • From: Lanceand Audrey <woodsearthclass AT gmail.com>
  • To: Lanceand Audrey <woodsearthclass AT gmail.com>
  • Subject: What's happening at Wood's Earth ~ yoga & scything workshops, a school food fundraiser and more!
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2012 18:51:42 -0400

Happy July!
Let's hope thunderstorms carry us through the hot, dry, yet beautiful weather. Here are some dates of note and bites of news from Wood's Earth Living Classroom:

Upcoming Events, open to all:

- Yoga for Gardeners ~ Tuesday, July 10 at 8am. Gentle focus on joint mobility, easing and strengthening those gardening muscles with Jen Kahn. RVSP appreciated, not required.
- Learn to Scythe ~ Sunday, July 15 at 7 pm. The ancient art of fuel-free mowing with Ben Altman. [optional food, volleyball & hangout at 6]. Limited space! Please RSVP.
- Learn to Scythe #2 ~ Sunday, August 5 at 7pm. Missed the first one? Want more practice? [optional food, volleyball & hangout at 6] Limited space! Please RSVP.
- School Food Fundraiser ~ SAVE THE DATE ~ Sunday, September 9 from 4:30-7:30pm. A family affair. Harvest produce for school snacks and meals. Dinner, games, music and more. Students $5, Adults $10, Children 5 and under are free.

Recent News:
- We welcome our new summer intern, Katerina Athanasiou!
- Over 25 gardeners are growing food in the gardens using drip irrigation and other shared resources.
- We now have a booth at the Newfield Farmers' Market [Fridays 3-7pm]! Last week, our group sold greens, herbs, scapes, peas and sprouts grown by gardeners and GIAC kids.
- Rows of beans, summer and winter squash, sweet corn, potatoes, basil and carrots (with more to come) are growing in the field to support school food programs like the Fresh Fruits & Vegetables Snack Program and the ICSD cafeteria program, as well as nearby rural food pantries in Enfield and Newfield.
- The Friendship Donation Network will begin collecting leftover produce from the Newfield Farmers' Market, thanks to Katerina's legwork.
- Next week, GIAC Conservation Corps - a group of young teens learning job skills in community organizations - starts up the summer session. Time for for some mulching!

--
www.woodsearth.com
607-592-2902

  • What's happening at Wood's Earth ~ yoga & scything workshops, a school food fundraiser and more!, Lanceand Audrey, 07/05/2012