fingerlakespermaculture - TODAY: Really Really Free Market at Congo Square Market

  • From: Shira Golding <shiragolding AT gmail.com>
  • To: sharetompkins AT lists.aktivix.org, Sustainability in Tompkins County <sustainable_tompkins-l AT list.cornell.edu>, fingerlakespermaculture AT lists.ibiblio.org, TC-HSC-L AT cornell.edu, anarcha ithacans <anarchaithacans AT lists.aktivix.org>
  • Subject: TODAY: Really Really Free Market at Congo Square Market
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2012 11:50:36 -0400

Hope to see you this evening at...

SHARE TOMPKINS' SUMMER
REALLY REALLY FREE MARKET
AT CONGO SQUARE MARKET

Friday, July 6, 2012, 4-8pm

Southside Community Center

305 S. Plain St, Ithaca, NY 14850

Ready to share? Come on down to the Congo Square Market to get some food, check out local vendors, and share with your neighbors! In the Share Tompkins Really Really Free Market area, everything is free!

Event partners include Southside Community Center, Ithaca Freeskool, Local First Ithaca, and Ithaca Hours. If you'd like to table and/or help get the word, please contact us!

How it works: There will be tables set up where you can drop off your stuff. All are welcome to take whatever they want on a first-come, first-served basis. This is an opportunity to help one another meet our needs while reducing waste and helping the environment! Please note: All left over items will be donated, but it will help the organizers tremendously if you plan to take home any items you bring that aren’t picked up by others.

What to bring:

- Clothing

- Food

- Toys

- Books

- Household Items

- Plants

- Anything you want to share!

About the Congo Square Market:

CONGO SQUARE is an actual place in new Orleans. This sacred ground was first used by Houma Native Americans and later by slaves in the region, as a place to enjoy one day of freedom. African people used this as a place to maintain a connection to their true status as free people of Africa. Native Americans, as well as Europeans often joined in the celebration. Music, abolitionist organization, food, and dance were all intertwined to make this one day a week festival. Today, we recreate our own version of this splendor at Southside Community Center. We welcome our WHOLE COMMUNITY to come enjoy food, music and culture. The Market is a collaboration between Southside Community Center, Ithaca Youth Bureau’s Paul Scheurs Memorial Program, TC Cornell Cooperative Extension’s Whole Community Project, and the Youth Farm Project. http://www.congosquareithaca.com

About Really Really Free Markets from Wikipedia:
“The Really, Really Free Market (RRFM) movement is a horizontally-organized collective of individuals who form a temporary market based on an alternative gift economy...It holds as a major goal to build a community based on sharing resources, caring for one another and improving the collective lives of all. Markets often vary in character, but they generally offer both goods and services. Participants bring unneeded items and food, as well as skills and talents such as entertainment or haircuts. A RRFM usually takes place in an open community space such as a public park or community commons.”

Share Tompkins is a volunteer group that helps people share and barter in Tompkins County:

  • TODAY: Really Really Free Market at Congo Square Market, Shira Golding, 07/06/2012