corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] [biblical-studies] I cor 16:22

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Mitternacht Dieter" <dieter.mitternacht AT teol.lu.se>
  • To: "Corpus-Paul" <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] [biblical-studies] I cor 16:22
  • Date: Wed, 2 May 2007 20:29:40 +0200

Jim,
note also what the Jewish Encyclopedia (http://jewishencyclopedia.com/view.jsp?artid=1477&letter=A&search=maranatha#4221) has to say on Anathema under the sub-heading: A Measure of Synagogal Discipline: "The first degree, ḥerem, the Anathema proper, was an expulsion for an indefinite term and represented the final punishment of an offender who had been repeatedly warned and corrected. The person so expelled was muḥram (compare Anathema maran atha in I Cor. xvi. 22. According to Graetz maranatha is a corrupt transcription of , "Thou art anathema"; compare Holtzmann, "Handkommentar zum Neuen Testament," pp. 173, 174, note)."

According to Georg Schnedermanns commentary on 1 Cor, both Luther and Calvin considered maranatha to be a corrupt transcription of the aramaic muḥram môt'  ("verbannt zum Tode").

Dieter Mitternacht
Lund University