corpus-paul - [Corpus-Paul] I cor 16:22

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Jim West <jwest AT highland.net>
  • To: biblical-studies <biblical-studies AT yahoogroups.com>, Corpus-Paul <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Corpus-Paul] I cor 16:22
  • Date: Wed, 02 May 2007 12:19:52 -0400

In connection with some work I'm doing on Galatians, I happened upon this note in Luther's commentary on that great book:

“If anyone has no love for the Lord Jesus Christ, let him be anathema, μαράνα θά, ” which Burgensis says is the worst kind of curse among the Hebrews, whereas our scholars understand μαράνα θά as “the Lord is coming,” though mistakenly, in my opinion."

I had not, that I recall, heard anyone anywhere else suggest that maranatha is a curse! It does make a bit of sense in its connection to anathema (and it always seemed a bit odd to me that the two aramaic words were side by side as curse / blessing).

Anyone have any thoughts? Luther was awfully smart- but he could be wrong. On the other hand, he could be right. And if he is... well that's something worth discussing.

--
Jim West, ThD