corpus-paul - [Corpus-Paul] 1 Cor 15

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Matthew Williams <kopio AT comcast.net>
  • To: corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Corpus-Paul] 1 Cor 15
  • Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2006 23:07:12 -0800

Greetings Corpus-Paul Listers,

I am in the process of writing a paper on 1 Cor 15. I have a few questions I would like to receive some feedback from the list about. First, I would like to know if there are any commentaries or journal articles that you have found helpful in Paul's understanding of the resurrection. I have the Dictionary of Paul and His Letters, and have found the article in it on the resurrection very helpful.

I find Paul's reasoning in 1 Cor 15:13-16 rather confusing. He repeats twice that if there is no resurrection from the dead then not even Christ has been raised. Isn't this a bit redundant? Or, is Paul doing something here that I am not aware of?

Another issue that is interesting is the baptism of the dead. Is there any sort of consensus view on this verse (29)? I have read a fairly recent article (JBL 116/3 1997) by Joel White on this verse in context, but I don't find his arguments persuasive (either that, or I am missing the nuance of his argument, which is entirely possible). I am currently fairly "agnostic" concerning this verse. I think Paul is obviously using it as part of his argueent, and it appears as if it is something that he knows of and quite possibly even approves of. Other than that I am without a clue!

As I look at verses 42-50, I am left with the impression that we will, in our resurrection bodies be transformed into something far different from what we now are. Are we to understand our resurrection bodies in light of the Gospel's accounts of Jesus in His resurrection body? Will we be able to appear and disappear as Jesus is portrayed as doing? And what of verse 50, flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God...does this simply mean we will not be able to partake in Kingdom Activity apart from a resurrected, imperishable body?

I appreciate any input, suggestions or rabbit trails you are willing to throw at me. Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,

Matthew T. Williams
Sr. Multnomah Bible College
Portland, Or