corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] The Apostle to the Greek Israelites

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Mark Goodacre <goodacre AT gmail.com>
  • To: Corpus-Paul <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] The Apostle to the Greek Israelites
  • Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 18:06:53 -0500

On 02/02/06, Doug Chaplin <lists AT actually.me.uk> wrote:

> Bizarre, and thanks Loren, for noting it. I shall have to get hold of a
> copy, though I'm not sure it's the best thing to spend my book budget on.

Hi Doug. The entire text is available on "Search Inside" on Amazon,
so you can get a good idea whether it's worth spending the money
first. I found myself spending a while reading it on-line earlier on.
One of the repeated claims is that "the custom [of circumcision] was
begun in Palestine only in the Maccabean period" (e.g. 194), and they
define circumcision as "a form of male genital mutilation" not
identical with later removal of the whole foreskin (see 337-9). One
of the difficulties is that these rather big claims are not
extensively documented here, but reference is made to Shaye Cohen's
1993 article, "'Those who say they are Jews and are not': How do you
know a Jew in Antiquity when you see one" in Shaye D. Cohen and Ernest
Frerichs, _Diasporas in Antiquity_ (Brown Judaic Studies, 288;
Atlanta: Scholars Press, 1993): 1-45.

Mark

--
Mark Goodacre Goodacre AT duke.edu