corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] Titus-Timothy in General

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Richard Fellows <rfellows AT shaw.ca>
  • To: Corpus-Paul <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] Titus-Timothy in General
  • Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 22:41:45 -0800

> I have not responded because I cannot really take such double naming
seriously in the Greco-Roman
> world. Itwould be highly interesting for Richard fellows to submit his
Timothy=Titus hypothesis to
> the classics list. I suspect it would be heartily rejected.

Edgar, this post is very unhelpful. It does not engage with the issues in
any way, but just dismisses the issue out of hand.

I can only assume that you have misunderstood, or not read, what is
being proposed. My proposal is that Titus was given the NEW NAME "Timothy"
while he was a Christian. Timothy means "honouring God" or
"honoured by God", which are very suitable titles for this prominent
believer. This type of religious renaming is no different from numerous
other cases in the ancient world. The phenomenon is well attested in the
biblical tradition (see Otto Eissfeldt "Renaming in the old testament" in
Words and Meanings CUP 1968) and in the early church (consider Simon-Peter,
Joseph-Barnabas and Ignatius-Theophorus) and among pagans (see G.H.R.
Horsley, "Name Change as an Indication of Religious Conversion in Antiquity"
, Numen 34 (1987) p. 1-17). So I do not understand the problem that you have
with Titus-Timothy.

Richard.