corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] Titus-Timothy and Galatians

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: George F Somsel <gfsomsel AT juno.com>
  • To: corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] Titus-Timothy and Galatians
  • Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 02:47:32 -0500

On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 23:03:38 -0800 Richard Fellows <rfellows AT shaw.ca> writes:
> Mark Goodacre wrote:
> > Do you think that Galatians preceeds 1 Corinthians?  One thing
> that
> > troubles me about the view that Galatians preceeds 1 Cor. is that
> in
> > the latter Paul is still apparently on friendly terms with the
> > Galatians (1 Cor. 16.1) but by 2 Corinthians and Romans, they are
> no
> > longer in view (2 Cor. 8-9, Rom. 15.26).  If Galatians is between
> 1
> > and 2 Cor., we have an obvious locus for the fall-out.  If it
> precedes
> > 1 Cor., we have to hypothesise another crisis between the writing
> of 1
> > and 2 Cor., no?
>
> Interesting line or argument. I agree that 1 Cor 16:1 suggests that
> Paul was
> on friendly terms with the Galatians at that time. However, it is
> less clear
> that there was a falling out before the writing of 2 Cor and Rom.
> The
> inclusion of Gaius of Derbe in Acts 20:4 suggests to some that
> Galatia DID
> contribute to the collection. Alternatively the collection mentioned
> in 1
> Cor 16:1 may have been delivered separately from Paul's Aegean
> collection.
> Logistically it would make little sense for the Galatians to send
> their
> collection to Jerusalem via Corinth.
>
> > On your view, Richard, does it not make sense to see Timothy /
> Titus
> > in the background of 5.11?  If it is known to the Galatians that
> Titus
> > was indeed circumcised, they have an obvious reason for assuming
> that
> > "Paul preached circumcision".  On that reading, Paul's difficulty
> in
> > chapter 2 is that he is writing against a background of recipients
> who
> > know that Titus has been circumcised and who want to take this
> next
> > step themselves.  What Paul then does with this tricky situation
> is to
> > insist that Titus was not *compelled* to be circumcised (2.3),
> the
> > implicit contrast being to the compulsion applied by Peter in
> Antioch
> > (2.14) and the compulsion applied by the influencers in Galatia
> > (6.12).
> >
> > What do you think?  One of the things I find appealing about the
> > Timothy / Titus theory (and I am not saying that I'm fully
> persuaded
> > yet, but intrigued) is the possible light it sheds on the
> background
> > of Galatians.  You can understand the persuasive power of the
> > Galatians' knowledge of this action, "You know, folks, that
> Paul's
> [...]

Richard,

Am I misunderstanding you?  Do you actually suggest that Titus and Timothy were one and the same person?  I think that this fails on several counts.

1.  In 2 Corinthians both names are given, seemingly not interchangeably.
      2 Cor 1.1, 19; 2.13; 7.6, 13, 14; 8.6, 16, 23; 12.18
2.  Timothy is said to be of mixed Jewish and Greek parentage (Acts 2.1-3) with his mother being Jewish.  There may be some problem with accepting Acts as being totally accurate, but I tend to think that in such matters it would be though it might be in error regarding Paul's itinerary.  If his mother was in fact Jewish, Timothy would be considered Jewish and therefore liable to circumcision -- at least in the eyes of the Jewish-Christian party.
3.  Titus, on the other hand, is stated by Paul to be Greek and was therefore not circumcised (Gal 2.3).
george
gfsomsel