corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] Rom 2.22 Jewish "temple robbing"?

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "John Dickson" <jdickson AT bigpond.com>
  • To: "Corpus-Paul" <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] Rom 2.22 Jewish "temple robbing"?
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 09:11:16 +1100

I remain open to the possibility that 'temple robbing/sacrilege' in Rom 2:22 alludes to a rumour such as that found in Antiquities 18.81-84. As many of you will know, Josephus here refers to some self-styled rabbis in Rome forty years before Paul taking off with expensive gifts intended for the Jerusalem temple. The rumour may have been well known in Rome (and to Paul) long before Josephus retold it.
Incidentally, desecrating pagan temples (which, in the eyes of some, could be seen as act of piety/zeal) does not seem to me to be the sort of charge one would lay against the self-styled rabbi of Rom 2.
Regards,
John

Dr. John P. Dickson
Department of Ancient History