corpus-paul - RE: [Corpus-Paul] Rom 2.22 Jewish "temple robbing"?

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: JERRY SUMNEY <JSUMNEY AT LEXTHEO.EDU>
  • To: 'Corpus-Paul' <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Corpus-Paul] Rom 2.22 Jewish "temple robbing"?
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 15:02:31 -0500

Bob Kraft writes:

As a tangent to the current thread on Romans 1-2, I'm wondering why recent
translations of Rom 2.22 seem to have moved to a highly etymological
translation
in preferring "rob temples" to the older KJV (etc) "commit sacrilege"? Do we
have much evidence of Jews/Judeans literally robbing temple treasuries or
desecrating temple images and sites? LJS gives both meanings, as does BAGD
(with
an unexplained preference for the former). Ed Krentz did an article on this
in
1990, which I haven't read (or at least, don't recall the details of), but
which
presumably (judging from the BAGD listing) argues for the more idiomatic
"act
irreverently" or the like. That also seems more likely to me, without having

done much homework on the issue.

Jerry:

While it is precisely not temple robbing, many (most) within the
Jewish community would know the story of the Maccabeans destroying the
temple on Mt. Gerizim. That might qualify as an act of sacriledge to many
people--maybe even some Jews, after all, it is not included in all accounts
of the exploits of the Hasmoneans. I expect that the conqueror took the
treasury when the temple there was razed.

But maybe that is too distant an act?

Jerry
Jerry L. Sumney
Professor of Biblical Studies