corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] Liberating Paul

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Kent Yinger" <kent.yinger AT verizon.net>
  • To: <crhutson AT salisbury.net>, "Corpus-Paul" <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] Liberating Paul
  • Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 17:08:00 -0800

Chris,

You wrote re. interpolation at 1 Cor 14:34-35 . . .

> In his commentary, Fee makes as strong a case as can be made for the
interpolation theory.

> But it is not a persuasive theory. There is no manuscript support for
omitting 34-35.

True, there is "no manuscript support" in the sense that no mss omit it
here. However, if my memory serves me correctly (I'm not near my copy of
Fee's commentary), Fee's argument as to external evidence revolves around a
fair amount of unusual placement of the passage in various mss. While not
firm evidence of omission, the alternate placements require some
explanation, don't they? Fee's (and others') suggestions of an interpolation
based largely on scribal tendencies seems at least as plausible to me as
explanations suggested by others these other placements and, thus, for the
original inclusion of vv 34-35 at this point in the text. As with so many
matters, the persuasiveness of a theory remains in the eye of the beholder.

> Besides, claiming that this is an interpolation doesn't solve the problem
about women's roles in the churches, because this is still the canonical
text.

This one caught me by surprise ("still in the canonical text"). I take it
that you are saying, "Even if 14:34-35 is an interpolation, it is still in
the canonical text." I'm uncertain as to what you mean by "the canonical
text." Rome resolved this with the Vulgate, but that doesn't satisfy most of
us in the NT guild. If canonization was more-or-less concluded in the 3rd or
4th centuries, is that the text (which? Vaticanus? Alexandrinus? etc.) we
are calling "canonical"? Help me understand what is "canonical text" for you
in regard to Paul's letters. Thanks.

Kent

Kent L. Yinger, Ph.D.
Assoc. Prof. of NT