corpus-paul - RE: [Corpus-Paul] Paul's Christ: Noble Martyr or Cultic Sacrifice?

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Loren Rosson <rossoiii AT yahoo.com>
  • To: dhindley AT compuserve.com, Corpus-Paul <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: RE: [Corpus-Paul] Paul's Christ: Noble Martyr or Cultic Sacrifice?
  • Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2004 07:21:27 -0700 (PDT)

Dave asked:

> With regard to Greco-Roman philosophers, how about
> Socrates? His death
> doesn't seem to fit these criteria, except in the
> most peripheral way. I am
> not aware of it being considered vicarious, or on
> account of obedience...

Dave,

Briefly for now (since I don't have Seeley's book at
hand this week-end), Seneca says that Socrates rotted
in prison for the express purpose of "freeing mankind
from the fear of death" (I'll get the citation later).
That's about as vicarious as you can ask for. Socrates
was an example to be followed, like other philosophers
who died the Noble Death. I think Epictetus also made
a remark about Socrates' death being more useful to
humanity than what he said or did while alive, and
that his obedience to the law and what he believed
right was ultimately what got him killed. But again,
the citations will have to wait until Monday when I
get back to Ian.

Loren Rosson III
Nashua NH
rossoiii AT yahoo.com