corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] OFF LIST (?): Paul's Christ: Noble Martyr or Cultic Sacrifice?

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Loren Rosson <rossoiii AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Corpus-Paul <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] OFF LIST (?): Paul's Christ: Noble Martyr or Cultic Sacrifice?
  • Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 06:42:16 -0700 (PDT)

I wrote:

> But I think Seeley has a lot of this right.
> Paul seems to have had the Noble Death in
> view, especially by the time he wrote Romans,
> in depicting Christ in polemical
> opposition to martyrs and philosophers,
> albeit as a mythical martyr himself.

Jeffrey responded (so he thought off-list):

> Glad to hear you read the book and that it got you
> thinking. Does your
> critique stand when it is read along side of the
> data I present in my
> article on the dying for formula?

Yes, Jeffrey. Your suggestion that Paul employs
certain language in polemical opposition to the
Greco-Roman understanding of "x" who dies for "y"
would seem to be very compatible with one direction in
which Seeley's argument can be taken. Bravo!

But the supposedly subordinate nature of Paul's cultic
language remains murky. I'm not yet as convinced as
you (and Seeley) are on this point.

Loren Rosson III
Nashua NH
rossoiii AT yahoo.com