corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] Active Jewish Pauline scholars

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Mark D. Nanos" <nanosmd AT comcast.net>
  • To: Corpus Paul <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] Active Jewish Pauline scholars
  • Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 17:37:08 -0600

on 2/29/04 1:10 PM, Noel Fitzpatrick at njfitzpatrick AT eircom.net wrote:

> Since Paul said "I myself am an Israelite, a descendant of Abraham, a member
> of the tribe of Benjamin" (Rom 11:1) and that he was "circumcised on the
> eighth day, a member of the people of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a
> Hebrew born of Hebrews; as to the law, a Pharisee" (Phil 3:4), I would like
> to draw up a list of active Jewish Pauline scholars, from all parts of the
> world. Thus I would appreciate suggestions.

In addition to those mentioned already, including Alan Segal, Daniel
Boyarin, Paula Fredriksen, Pamela Eisenbaum, Hyam Maccoby, and myself, here
are a few others to investigate.

Nancy Fuchs-Kreimer, The 'Essential Heresy': Paul's View of the Law
According to Jewish Writers: 1886-1986, 1990 Ph.D. Diss., Temple Univ. (I
just read [parts of] this in the past month; excellent)

Michael Wyschogrod has written several articles

Ellis Rivkin has an article on Paul

In the twentieth century, of blessed memory are Claude Montefiore, Joseph
Klausner, Leo Baeck, Martin Buber, Hans J. Schoeps, Samuel Sandmel, David
Flusser, Schalom Ben-Chorin, and Pinchas Lapide.

For bibliographical references and more information on work prior to
mid-90's, you might want to consult Stefan Meissner, Die Heimholung des
Ketzers: Studien zur jüdischen Auseinandersetzung mit Paulus, Mohr Siebeck,
1996.

Regards,
Mark
--