corpus-paul - RE: [Corpus-Paul] Re:Judaism: a missionary religion or just open to converts?

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Given, Mark Douglas" <mdg421f AT smsu.edu>
  • To: "Corpus-Paul" <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Corpus-Paul] Re:Judaism: a missionary religion or just open to converts?
  • Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 09:21:32 -0500

Title: Message
Thanks John.  I just checked the interlibrary loan here in Missouri and none of the libraries has your book yet.  I'll place an order for our library today.

I thought about raising the "hypothetical" issue in my previous post, but I don't buy that either, so I skipped it.

I--like Jeff it seems--still wonder if the language could imply more than just "overhearing," but it's certainly also interesting to think that a regular feature of these meetings was believers examining, critiquing, testing, refuting, judging, etc., each other.  (And, of course, there are other passages in the Corinthian letters that would support that.)  Both possibilities remind me of an article I read in the August issue of Christianity Today on "Finding God in Small Groups."  (My mom sends me a subscription every year--what can I do?)  It was an interview with Tom Albin who did doctoral research at Cambridge on early Methodism.  His descriptions of the "trial band" and the "class meeting" reminded me of aspects of what might have been going on in Corinthian house churches.

On another bibliographical note, I finally got around to reading most of Rodney Stark's, The Rise of Christianity.  I had heard convincing arguments before that the Christian movement mainly spread by one-on-one witnessing, but it seemed to me that his arguments based on modern analogies with new religious movements made them more convincing than ever.  By far, the greatest numerical successes for a new religion or sect comes through networking of family and friends.  Also fascinating was the way converts "lied" about what got them into a movement.  The propaganda of movements is usually not very successful until it is combined with the influence of family and friends, but after the conversion the convert typically says it was the overwhelming force of the message of the charismatic leader that brought them in.  It seems that "biographical reconstruction" (Snow and Machalek) includes more than just how "wrong" one's life was before conversion.  (-;

Mark