corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] Re:Judaism: a missionary religion or just open toconverts?

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Jill and Dale Walker <jilldale AT rcn.com>
  • To: Corpus-Paul <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] Re:Judaism: a missionary religion or just open toconverts?
  • Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 07:36:09 -0500

Thanks for your comments, John.

I would like to add that the presence of non-Christians among Christians at worship could reflect the various social functions of a house. Given the Roman custom of conducting business from the house, people could have been in the house for purposes other than Christian gathering. (I am assuming that the abundance of Latin inscriptions in Corinth reflects social practices.) Someone perhaps stopped by to greet a prominent citizen and encountered ecstatic speech. Given that Paul had to dispense the utterly pragmatic advice of "wait for each other" indicates that Christian worship wasn't organized by the clock. An assumption that there were periods of exclusive Christian access and use of a house may be unwarranted.

Dale Walker
Chicago