corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] the theology of paul

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Frank W. Hughes" <fwhughes AT sunbeach.net>
  • To: Corpus-Paul <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] the theology of paul
  • Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2003 07:49:28 -0400

Dear Jim et al.,

Four years ago, in response to the appearance of James Dunn's The Theology of Paul the Apostle, I added a course to our curriculum, T30K Pauline Theology.  Dunn's book is the core textbook for the course.  It has been a successful course twice.  I also suggest some other books, most notably the four SBL volumes, Pauline Theology, as resources, particularly for coursework papers (see especially their bibliographies).  I will be teaching the course again in a few weeks, and I am adding the Pauline sections of Georg Strecker, Theology of the New Testament, as required reading to supplement Dunn.

T30K is the highest level (level III) undergraduate course.  I also teach T20G The Pauline Epistles regularly as a general course on the Pauline letters of undisputed authorship.  In addition I teach T20M The Later NT Epistles, though not regularly.

It is clear to me that our students learned a lot about NT theology in general by carefully working through Dunn.  It is quite a rich resource.

Frank W. Hughes
Senior Lecturer in NT Studies
Codrington College (in affiliation with the University of the West Indies, Cave Hill Campus)
St. John
Barbados