corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] Apollos an apostle?

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: tmcos AT canada.com
  • To: corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] Apollos an apostle?
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 14:07:24 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Fred, I think option 4 would be viable. Luke
himself referred to both Paul and Barnabas as
"apostles" as well. (Acts 14:14) The word "apostle" as
one who is sent would describe the missions of Apollos
and Barnabas. At the same time, apostleship seems to be
used of Paul in 1 Cor.9:1 in reference to someone who
had "seen" Jesus. I think there is a subtle distinction
made between "Apostle" (those who saw Jesus, Paul is a
late comer in this regard), and "apostle" (one who is
sent to proclaim the gospel). Of course, there were no
lower case letters in the earliest textual MSS, but I
think context bears out these distincions.

Tony Costa, M.A.

University of Toronto

On Wed, 28 May 2003 15:23:05 EDT, Frich107 AT aol.com
wrote:

> Have just been reading 1 Corinthians 4, and one
> question really struck me
> that the commentaries seem to ignore, with two brief
> exceptions. My question is,
> in verse 9, does 'us apostles' refer to 1) Paul and
> Apollos, 2) Paul on his
> own (the royal we), 3) Paul and various other apostles
> (excluding Apollos) or 4)
> Paul and various other apostles (including Apollos)?
> Richard Horsley seems to
> be of the opinion that the second option is correct,
> though his lack of
> argument to my mind is a problem for this view. Marion
> Soards favours option 4,
> which to me appears reasonable.
>
> Paul distinguishes himself from the Corinthians (you),
> but speaks of Apollos
> and himself as 'we'. This is leading me towards view
1,
> bearing in mind verse
> 6 in particular. What do others think? Can you guide
me