corpus-paul - [Corpus-Paul] Apollos an apostle?

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Frich107 AT aol.com
  • To: corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Corpus-Paul] Apollos an apostle?
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 15:23:05 EDT

Have just been reading 1 Corinthians 4, and one question really struck me
that the commentaries seem to ignore, with two brief exceptions. My question
is,
in verse 9, does 'us apostles' refer to 1) Paul and Apollos, 2) Paul on his
own (the royal we), 3) Paul and various other apostles (excluding Apollos) or
4)
Paul and various other apostles (including Apollos)? Richard Horsley seems to
be of the opinion that the second option is correct, though his lack of
argument to my mind is a problem for this view. Marion Soards favours option
4,
which to me appears reasonable.

Paul distinguishes himself from the Corinthians (you), but speaks of Apollos
and himself as 'we'. This is leading me towards view 1, bearing in mind verse
6 in particular. What do others think? Can you guide me towards any
discussions of this issue?

Regards,
Fred Rich

Ph.D. Student,