corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] Why was Hebrews ever thought to be by Paul?

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Jim West <jwest AT highland.net>
  • To: Corpus-Paul <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] Why was Hebrews ever thought to be by Paul?
  • Date: Sun, 04 May 2003 09:01:52 -0400

At 05:48 AM 5/4/03 +0000, you wrote:

>“On the Pauline Authorship of Hebrews (Part 1): Overlooked Affinities
>between Hebrews and Paul.” Faith and Mission, vol. 16, no. 2 (Spr. 1999):
>32-51.

It is fair to note that "Faith and Mission" is the publication of
Southeastern Baptist Seminary, taken over by the Fundamentalists in the late
80's (I know- I was there). The motto of the school was changed during
those dark days (by those of us who sorrowed over the death of a fine
institution)- "The Place where the Ax Head Floats"- which nicely sums up the
theological perspective of the school and its "journal".

>If you have the ability to read German you might want to look at these two
>articles by Eta Linnemann.

And Eta lectured at SEBTS after the takeover by the Fundamentalists- and
repudiated all her earlier historical-critical work. She told us- "I burned
all my previous writings, all of my teacher's works (Bultmann was her
Doktorvater), and I will allow no questions during or after my lecture" And
believe me she didn't. The she went off to Indonesia to be a missionary to
all those who had been mislead by all the other Missionaries who had been
there before.

>“Wiederaufnahme-Prozess in Sachen des Hebräerbriefes (Part 1),” Fundamentum
>vol. 31 no. 2 (2000), 102-112.

Fundamentum- the German Journal of Fundamentalism.

>Although I am agnostic when it comes to Pauline authorship of Hebrews the
>case for it is not as easy to dismiss as it might first appear. I hope this
>helps.

It should surprise no one that the only people who think Paul wrote Hebrews
are the same ilk of those who think the Bible was verbally dictated and the
KJV is more reliable than the Hebrew or Greek texts.

Best

Jim

Jim West, ThD

Biblical Studies Resources
http://web.infoave.net/~jwest

unus quisque mavult credere, quam judicare - Seneca.