corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] Paul's poverty in Ephesus and the cost of travel

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Jill and Dale Walker <jilldale AT rcn.com>
  • To: Corpus-Paul <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] Paul's poverty in Ephesus and the cost of travel
  • Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2003 19:53:10 -0500

How Paul paid travel expenses is an interesting question, but I would
like to point out that the use of the word budget is tendentious. How do
we know Paul had a budget? Perhaps the history of his travels and
letters is simply the history of lucky opportunities, rather than planning.
(Perhaps the word budget wasn't meant as precisely as I'm
taking it.) Moreover, the problem of how Paul would finance a proposed
hypothetical journey applies to every other journey. To say that
having money is a problem for advocating a hypothetical journey
is no less a problem for any other journey. If it's a problem for Paul
to finance a trip, then perhaps other journeys are not factual. Or, perhaps
the reason for Paul's lengthy stay in Ephesus is the expense of the
emergency trip to Corinth, which precluded his leaving Ephesus until
he'd worked some more to save up more cash. I think there are a lot
of imponderables that make the argument below inconclusive.

Dale Walker
Chicago