corpus-paul - [Corpus-Paul] Malina and Imperial Culturalism (was Time: Paul's Peasant Present)

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Zeba Crook <zeba.crook AT utoronto.ca>
  • To: Corpus-Paul <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Corpus-Paul] Malina and Imperial Culturalism (was Time: Paul's Peasant Present)
  • Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 10:58:17 -0400

Gary Burnett wrote:
So people from pre-industrial agricultural societies have little or no
concept of the future? Sounds just the sort of claim we might expect from someone who has suggested people from this background had no sense of their own selves as distinctive, unique and self-aware, or of others as distinct and unique beings - people for whom individual psychology, uniqueness and self-consciousness were of no conseqence. (see Malina's "New Testament World" & my own "Paul & the Salvation of the Individual")
This is far overstating the claims made by Malina et. al., even allowing for the fact that Malina does express many of his views more exclusively than some others who share his methodological approach.  It is not the claim of NT Social Scientific critics that ancient people "had no sense of their own selves as distinctive, unique and self-aware," but rather that unlike their modern western counterparts they did not tend to be governed by that awareness.
Could I suggest that Malina's extreme views owe more to 21st century
US/Western imperial culturalism than to a sympathetic approach to other
cultures? Attributing such simplistic outlooks to other cultures, including that of the 1st century Mediterranean world, seems much too patronising for my liking - aside from the fact that in extensive travel and work amongst both the urban and rural poor in Asia, I have never come across either the sort of community "embeddedness" so much touted by Malina, nor this latest idea that such people cannot have a thorough understanding, appreciation and hope for the future. (Yes, I've seen much more community-orientation, but "dyadic" personalities? Not at all.)
This is patently unfair criticism.  "21st century US/Western imperial culturalism"?  The point is precisely to be the opposite, to emphasise that people the world over are not exactly the same. Your reference to first-hand experience could be read to imply the charge that Malina has never left the confines of his armchair, nor that he too has plenty of first hand cultural experience.  Further, his observations in this respect are based solidly on many other anthropological and social-psychological studies emphasising the basic but important differences between individualistic and collectivistic cultures, none of which contends an absence of individual self awareness in collectivistic cultures nor an absence of allocentric behaviour in individualistic cultures.

Cheers,

Zeb

--

Zeba Antonin Crook (Ph.D. Cand)