corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] Didn't Paul overkill Peter at Galatia?

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Loren Rosson <rossoiii AT yahoo.com>
  • To: moon AT mail.sogang.ac.kr, Corpus-Paul <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] Didn't Paul overkill Peter at Galatia?
  • Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 06:28:50 -0700 (PDT)

Moon,

I believe that both Peter and Paul behaved
understandably -- Peter dithered, Paul blew his stack.
I would refrain, however, from using the term
"hypocrite" as a neutral label for describing Peter's
behavior, because in a collectivist culture, acting
one way and thinking another is not necessarily a mark
of hypocrisy (whether or not you are insulted as one).
You should act according to the way the people expect
you to act. If many of the Antioch Christians were
having doubtful feelings (like Peter) about treating
non-proselytes as full and equal heirs to the promises
of Abraham -- or sensitive about "flaunting" the fact
to outsiders, or in certain company -- then Peter's
behavior can hardly be labelled hypocrisy. If, on the
other hand, the majority of the Antioch Christians
felt as strongly as Paul did, then Peter's dithering
**could** be considered hypocrisy, since his behavior
did not square with what the in-group expected of him.

The question also hinges on the relationship between
Paul and the pillars, and outside Judaism. If Peter
and Paul were rival missionaries from the start, then
Paul could insult Peter all he wanted (and
vice-versa). But if they were colleagues (as I
believe) -- and if they remained colleagues after the
Antioch incident (as I also believe) -- then the
question becomes more thorny. In an honor-shame
culture, publicly insulting a friend can make him an
instant enemy, unless you have a very good reason for
shaming him. Did Paul overkill Peter by insulting him?
I would say it depends on how the majority of the
Antiochene Christians felt about the issue. If Paul
was shaming Peter in order to make him fall back in
line, then perhaps it wasn't overkill. If Paul was a
voice crying in the wilderness, however, then his
shaming of Peter could be construed as an act of
self-righteousness.

Loren Rosson III
Nashua NH
rossoiii AT yahoo.com