corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] Re: Ecclesiology

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: <stephen.finlan AT durham.ac.uk>
  • To: "Corpus-Paul" <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] Re: Ecclesiology
  • Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 19:49:56 +0100

Fred Rich wrote:

> 1 Tim 2:15... as saying 'women are saved by the childbirth'
> i.e. of Jesus.

But the context is not about Jesus, but on proper behavior
for women; they are to not wear braided hair or gold
(v. 9), are to do "what befits" them (v. 10), are to learn
in submissiveness (v. 11), are not to teach men (v. 12),
So it is logical to perceive v. 15 as further advice to
women. The verb is singular. It says "she will be
saved through (_dia_) childbearing."

I think you are correct to say that the Pastor is not--
> suggesting that women are only saved if they have children.

It is not mean to be taken quite THAT literally. It is a
hyperbolic, but serious, recommendation of childbearing
as the best choice for women.

Steve Finlan
Durham
>From sdblack AT telus.net Fri Apr 11 15:03:32 2003