corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] SUNEIDHSIS and the concept of conscience in Pauline Theology

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Jeffrey B. Gibson" <jgibson000 AT attbi.com>
  • To: Corpus-Paul <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] SUNEIDHSIS and the concept of conscience in Pauline Theology
  • Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 17:29:25 -0600

Charles Savelle wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> I have several questions related to the term SUNEIDHSIS which is usually
> translated "conscience."

[snip]

> 2. Do you think that the translation "conscience" best conveys the sense of
> the term? Why or why not?

In as much as it conveys modern moral theology ideas of a still small voice
inside us telling us what's right and wrong, no. The idea conveyed by the word
is, I believe, involves something public and communal.

> 3. Do you know if anything has been written recently on this term? (I have
> already consulted LSJ, TDNT, EDNT, TLOT, etc.)

Not recently, but the 1955 work _Conscience in the New Testament_ by C.A,
Pierce
is a valuable contribution to the topic.
Yours,

Jeffrey Gibson
--

Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)

1500 W. Pratt Blvd. #1
Chicago, IL 60626

jgibson000 AT attbi.com

  • Re: [Corpus-Paul] SUNEIDHSIS and the concept of conscience in Pauline Theology, Jeffrey B. Gibson, 03/17/2003