corpus-paul - Re: [Corpus-Paul] SUNEIDHSIS and the concept of conscience in Pauline Theology

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Zeba Crook <zeba.crook AT utoronto.ca>
  • To: Corpus-Paul <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Corpus-Paul] SUNEIDHSIS and the concept of conscience in Pauline Theology
  • Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 11:16:39 -0500

Charles Savelle wrote:
I have several questions related to the term SUNEIDHSIS which is usually translated "conscience."

2. Do you think that the translation "conscience" best conveys the sense of the term? Why or why not?
I do not think so because "conscience" works against the dominant personality structure of the ancient Mediterranean.  Honour and shame are external behavioural controls, and can be contrasted with guilt, which is an interal behavioural control.  "Conscience" falls into the interal category.
3. Do you know if  anything has been written recently on this term? (I have already consulted LSJ, TDNT, EDNT, TLOT, etc.)
A search of ATLA revealed several articles in French.  You might also look in _Biblical Social Values_ edited by Pilch to see if there is anything in there.

Cheers,

Zeb

--

Zeba Antonin Crook (Ph.D. Cand)

University of St. Michael’s College

Faculty of Theology

81 St. Mary Street

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

M5S 1J4

(416) 964-8629

http://individual.utoronto.ca/zeba_crook/

  • Re: [Corpus-Paul] SUNEIDHSIS and the concept of conscience in Pauline Theology, Zeba Crook, 03/17/2003