corpus-paul - RE: [Corpus-Paul] Paul's Sin Conception

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Bob MacDonald <bobmacdonald AT shaw.ca>
  • To: 'Corpus-Paul' <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [Corpus-Paul] Paul's Sin Conception
  • Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 07:24:05 -0800

I think the key to Paul's concept of sin is Romans 14:23

Whatsoever is not of faith is sin

What this speaks of to me is covenant or relationship. Equally, you could
follow the hear and obey aspect of this is Paul which goes under the phrase
Obedience of faith. See for instance this short essay
http://bmd.gx.ca/obedience_of_faith.htm - (my debt to Mark Nanos
acknowledged).

The continuity between this relational concept of sin and the traditional -
'doing something wrong' concept is the conceptual struggle between the law
and faith. Romans and Galatians of course show Paul's struggle with this -
and I think he ultimately wins - giving the law a relative rather than
absolute position. This allows the human to deal with fear and turn the law
into promise rather than oppression. I think you will find this thought in
Paul - "if righteousness were through the law then faith is in vain and the
promise void" - etc.

Bob

mailto::BobMacDonald AT shaw.ca
+ + + Victoria, B.C., Canada + + +