corpus-paul - [Corpus-Paul] Re: Paul, an apostle, not from humans nor through a human?

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "John Dickson" <dicksonj AT bigpond.net.au>
  • To: <corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Corpus-Paul] Re: Paul, an apostle, not from humans nor through a human?
  • Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2003 09:18:44 +1100

In reference to Gal 1:1, Dr. Mark Nanos asks:

> what texts or arguments make
> this association of human/s = the Jerusalem apostles compelling, or
> alternatively, not compelling, for you?

I personally do not feel the force of this association. Given Paul's
apparent concern elsewhere in the letter to imply that his 'apostleship' is
equal/analogous to the Jerusalem apostles (1:17, 19; 2:7-8, also 1 Cor
15:7-11), I am persuaded that Gal 1:1 is designed to affirm Paul's equal
status with these leaders. Hence, the 'not from men' of the prescript serves
to undermine the potential view (of his doubters) that, being a late-comer,
Paul derived his 'apostleship' from a church (Antioch, presumably) rather
than from Jesus/God. That there was such a thing as
'human/church-apostleship' seems most likely in light of Acts 13:2-3 / 14:4;
Phil 2:25; 2 Cor 8:23; Did 11:3-6. Detractors could easily ascribe to Paul
this sort of apostleship and so relegate his status before the Jerusalem
apostles.

Kind regards,
John

Dr John P. Dickson
Associate, Department of Ancient History
Macquarie University
Sydney, Australia