corpus-paul - Re: The identity of Onesiphorus

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Kym Smith" <khs AT picknowl.com.au>
  • To: corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: The identity of Onesiphorus
  • Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2002 05:22:08 -0400

Dear Dave,

I am glad taht Richard opened this thread again as I found something only
yesterday which to my (conservative) mind is quite conclusive in this
question. It does depend on how close together Colossians, Philemon and 2
Timothy were written but, for me, the time gap is so short that the
evidence is valid.

In Philemon, of course, Onesimus is a slave being returned to his master.
In 2 Tim, Onesiphorus is not greeted but his 'household' is. Even if
Onesimus was granted freedom, the short time (as I see it) between the
writing of Colossians/Philemon and 2 Timothy is hardly likely to allow the
transition from one who is a slave ot one who has a household to be
greeted.

Kym Smith
Adeliade
South Australia
khs AT picknowl.com.au

  • The identity of Onesiphorus, Richard Fellows, 09/12/2002
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: The identity of Onesiphorus, Kym Smith, 09/15/2002