corpus-paul - Re: Weak and strong in Romans 14

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Runar M. Thorsteinsson" <Runar.Thorsteinsson AT teol.lu.se>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Weak and strong in Romans 14
  • Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 10:05:01 +0200

Fred, you wrote:

> I didn't intend to use the term Christian
> as I agree with yourself that is anachronistic to use the term when
> referring
> to First Century Christ-believers (for want of a better term).

Well, the term is at least potentially anachronistic when referring to the
addresses of Romans.

>> According to Stowers, the weak and the strong in Rom
>> 14 are not particular groups or parties or theological positions but
>> "dispositions of character"
>
> I find this part of Stowers particularly interesting as it allows for a lot
> more flexability when viewing Romans 14. There is allowance made for the
> movement of individuals between being 'weak' and 'strong' in this view I
> think. Is it perhaps conceivable then that, taking such a reading, Paul is
> actually addressing the whole Roman community when is speaking to the
> 'strong'? Just a thought.

Possible, but that depends on what you mean by "the whole Roman community."
Perhaps the reading of Rom 14 has depended too much upon the (mostly
extra-textual) assumption that Paul was writing to two main groups of
people, viz. people of Jewish and gentile origin. The letter itself,
however, implies that Paul was writing to people of gentile origin only
(i.e. gentile adherents to Judaism). It might be helpful to read Rom 14 with
this alternative constantly in view.

Regards,

Runar

--
Runar M. Thorsteinsson

Department of Theology and Religious Studies
Lund University
Sweden

Runar.Thorsteinsson AT teol.lu.se
www.teol.lu.se