corpus-paul - Re: Weak and strong in Romans 14

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Frich107 AT aol.com
  • To: corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Weak and strong in Romans 14
  • Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 18:13:43 EDT

Runar,

Thanks for your e-mail and comments. Apologies for my unintentional
misrepresentation of Stowers views. I didn't intend to use the term Christian
as I agree with yourself that is anachronistic to use the term when referring
to First Century Christ-believers (for want of a better term).

>According to Stowers, the weak and the strong in Rom
>14 are not particular groups or parties or theological positions but
>"dispositions of character"

I find this part of Stowers particularly interesting as it allows for a lot
more flexability when viewing Romans 14. There is allowance made for the
movement of individuals between being 'weak' and 'strong' in this view I
think. Is it perhaps conceivable then that, taking such a reading, Paul is
actually addressing the whole Roman community when is speaking to the
'strong'? Just a thought.

Regards,

Fred Rich.
Ph.D. Student,