corpus-paul - Re: Jerusalem conference

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Hyam Maccoby" <h.z.maccoby AT leeds.ac.uk>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Jerusalem conference
  • Date: Sun, 1 Sep 2002 13:37:33 +0100

Eric Zuesse:

1. Modern Orthodox rabbis base their practice on traditional legal
decisions going back to ancient times. If there was anything in the Mishnah
or Talmud interpreting Exodus 12:48 in the way you suggest, they would not
attend non-Jewish banquets.

2. Acts 11:3 refers to a time before the Jerusalem Council took place. At
that time, uncircumcised people were not admitted into the Jesus movement.
Eating with uncircumcised people would have been frowned on at that time,
not because they were uncircumcised but because, not being bound by the
later provisions of the Jerusalem Council, they would not have been trusted
to give a Jewish participant food of the necessary kosher quality and would
have had on the table 'meat sacrificed to idols'. Actually, the
uncircumcised person with whom Peter ate before the Jerusalem Council was
Cornelius (Acts 10), who was a 'God-fearer' and therefore could be trusted
in this matter; but the opponents of Peter at this point did not know this
and thought that Peter had shared a meal with an idolater.

3. I agree that the Eucharist probably did not exist at this time (see
my THE MYTHMAKER). I included reference to this possibility because other
correspondents had suggested that Peter might have been a keen supporter of
the Eucharist, regarding it as a Paschal meal which he should not share with
the uncircumcised on the basis of Exodus 12:48. I argued instead that
Peter, if he discovered the meal to be Eucharistic, would have had reason to
leave the table for precisely the opposite reason - that as a practising
Jew he would have disapproved of the Eucharist. Again, Exodus 12:48 does
not enter the picture at all.

4. I am not projecting backwards a later understanding of Exodus 12:48.
The main evidence for my view is the text itself, which states as plainly as
possible that the prohibition against participation by the uncircumcised
applies only to one meal, the eating of the Passover sacrifice. No-one
could ever have understood this verse to apply to all meals
indiscriminately, whether 'ceremonial' or not. The evidence from the Book
of Daniel is that at the time of the composition of this book (probably
about 165 BCE, see Nickelsburg) the verse was not understood as applying to
all meals (very strangely, you thought that I was pitting the authority of
Daniel against that of the Torah, whereas what I was doing was using the
book of Daniel as EVIDENCE of Jewish opinion in the 2nd century BCE - I note
that you do not refer to this matter again, in which you are so clearly
wrong). I think it hardly likely that a view that was totally accepted by
Torah-observant Jews in the 2nd century BCE would have changed drastically
in the 1st century BCE.
I have replied above to your second post, which was a great deal more
sensible than your first post - to which I would not have replied at all if
you had left the matter there. It is absurd to suggest that I am
underplaying the importance of circumcision to Torah-observant Jews by not
agreeing to your idiosyncratic interpretation of Exodus 12:48. Moreover, it
is ridiculous to suggest that because some non-Jews might have regarded
certain of their meals as Paschal, this would have had the slightest
influence over Torah-observant Jews, who would have regarded as Paschal only
meals defined as such in the Torah. It seems, however, that you yourself
realised that your first post was over the top, or you would not have sent
the more sensible second post.
In general, I am concerned that you are bringing into disrepute certain
views (some of which you derived from me) by your intemperate manner of
arguing and by your claim to be the sole possessor of a scientific approach
to New Testament studies, which can only be regarded as megalomaniac. This
makes you a very unrewarding partner in conversations such as those
conducted in this list between people who are patiently trying to unravel
the complexities of difficult and debateable texts on the basis of goodwill
and mutual respect.

Hyam Maccoby

_________

Dr.Hyam Maccoby