corpus-paul - Re: Musings on Pauline Studies

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Steve Black <sblack AT axionet.com>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Musings on Pauline Studies
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 08:43:19 -0700

Forgive me if this gets double posted - I sent it initially yesterday - and it seems to have gotten lost in cyber-space...

Jim West wrote:
[snip]
modern interpretations of the bible misread
paul on this point.
Loren Rosson III wrote:
Please clarify. If you mean to say that modern folk
have generally misunderstood Paul's views on the
subject, I fear you are woefully mistaken.

On basic difference between Paul and his modern interpreters is that homosexuality is now understood as an "orientation". Paul understood it as a specific act. Paul was not condemning (or condoning) committed relationships between people of the same gender. That there could even be such a thing as "committed relationships between people of the same gender" I doubt had even occurred to Paul as an option.

--
Steve Black
Vancouver School of Theology

Once in a while you can get shown the light
in the strangest of places if you look at it right...

-Robert Hunter From SCARLET BEGONIAS