corpus-paul - Re: Musings on Pauline Studies

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Loren Rosson <rossoiii AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Musings on Pauline Studies
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 06:20:36 -0700 (PDT)

John Dickson wrote:

> The problem with these particular labels is that
> they have arisen directly
> from heated modern debates and are thus loaded with
> powerful connotations.

I agree that this can be a problem.

> Applying these tags to ancients obscures
> rather than illuminates the
> motives, agendas, reasons and subtleties of a
> particular writer's opinions
> on matters such as homosexuality, the role of women
> and the place of Jews in the world.

Not necessarily, John. The fact that these are
negative and loaded terms doesn't change the fact that
anti-Semites, misogynists, and homophobes exist. They
existed in the ancient world, and they exist today. I
agree that Paul's opinions on the place of the Jewish
people, women, and slaves are all very complex issues
and saturated with nuance. But I see no amiguity in
his position on homosexuality. Believe me, I wish I
could say I did; I wish I could agree with people like
Scroggs and Jim Miller. But I honestly don't see the
evidence pointing in such a direction, and, moreover,
I think "homophobia" is neither inaccurate nor a
rhetorical exaggeration.

> Loren, perhaps you were being
> overly-rhetorical in your comments

Not at all. I meant exactly what I said.

> and so my reaction is unwarranted,

I appreciate your reaction; it's good to be clear on
what we mean.

Loren Rosson III
Nashua NH
rossoiii AT yahoo.com