corpus-paul - Re: origin of the term "missionary journey"

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Perry L Stepp <plstepp AT juno.com>
  • To: corpus-paul AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: origin of the term "missionary journey"
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 08:41:50 -0500

> I'm looking for the origin of the term 'missionary journey'. Does
> anyone know who and/or when it was coined?

Mikeal Parsons (one of my Baylor profs) published an article in the SBL
Seminar Papers in the late 1980's (I think). As I recall, he traced the
origin of this idea--three separate missionary journeys for Paul, plus
the journey to Rome--to the promotional materials of a British missionary
society in the 1800s.

PLStepp, Ph.D. candidate, Baylor University
http://www.tapercities.com/PhilZone/plstepp/

"For me, the lame part of the Sixties was the political part, the social
part. The real part was the spiritual part." --Jerry Garcia,
*Rolling Stone* 30 Nov 1989

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.