corpus-paul - Re: Prison in Ephesus?

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "David Inglis" <david AT colonialcommerce.com>
  • To: corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Prison in Ephesus?
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2002 14:20:44 -0400

Richard Fellows wrote:
> The conversation with Dave Inglis is best continued off-list, but I do need
> to point out that he seems to have misrepresented my views.

Richard,

I'm not sure why you want this off list.

> I have not expressed an opinion on where Ephesians was written. In fact, I
> do not have any views on the matter.

Actually, I need to apologize to both you and Vince Endris, since I jumped
off in the wrong direction regarding Ephesians. I didn't address just the
imprisonment part, but instead immediately tied it in with where Ephesians
was written, which Vince didn't ask about. As a result, I couldn't see
why Richard was bringing up Philippians. Sorry to both of you for that!

However, if you ignore the issue of where Ephesians might have been
written, that still leaves (as far as I can see) no evidence whatsoever
for Paul having been in prison in Ephesus. So, I have to ask the
question: Which came first, the belief in an Ephesian imprisonment
(independently of the issue of where Eph, Col, Php, and Phm were written
from), or the belief that one of more of these letters were written from
Ephesus, thus requiring an Ephesian imprisonment?

Dave Inglis
david AT colonialcommerce.com
3538 O'Connor Drive
Lafayette, CA, USA