corpus-paul - Re: Prison in Ephesus?

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "David Inglis" <david AT colonialcommerce.com>
  • To: corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Prison in Ephesus?
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2002 20:57:40 -0400

Vince Endris wrote:
> I am reading through a few new testament introductions trying to learn
> Pauline chronology. Most of these place Paul in prison at Ephesus
> (something I have also heard many times in classes) though, they admit we
> are never told this. Since a lot of weight is put on this imprisonment I am
> wondering why some think this. As far as I can tell the only evidence is
> Paul saying that he has been in prison many times (2 Cor. 6:4-5, 11:21-23)
> and that he endured much hardship in Ephesus (1 Cor. 15:32, 2 Cor. 1:8). Is
> this all there is?

As I understand it, there is absolutely no evidence that Paul was ever in
prison in Ephesus. There is evidence of Paul being in prison both in Rome
and Caesarea, but that's it. However, as I understand it, it is generally
accepted that Paul was in prison in other un-named places, and hence
Ephesus becomes a possibility.

However, IMHO an Ephesian imprisonment is actually very unlikely. In
particular, it would be very strange indeed if someone in prison in
Ephesus needed to write a letter to people there telling them that:
“Tychicus, my dear brother and faithful servant in the Lord, will make
everything known to you, so that you too may know about my circumstances,
how I am doing.” (Eph 6:21)

Dave Inglis
david AT colonialcommerce.com
3538 O'Connor drive