corpus-paul - Re: Paul on Kephale

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "ruth phua" <ruth AT yifan.net>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Paul on Kephale
  • Date: Thu, 4 Apr 2002 15:12:00 +0800

Dear Michael,

I am doing my doctoral dissertation on Paul's use of kephale but limited to
the Colossian letters. Beside Fitzmyer's article, the following
articles/essays could useful to you;

Arnold, Clinton E. "Jesus Christ: `Head' of the Church (Colossians and
Ephesians)" in Jesus of Nazareth Lord and Christ. Essays on the Historical
Jesus and New Testament Christology. Grand Rapids, Michigan: Wm. B.
Eerdmans Publishing Co., 1994, pp. 346-66.

Bilezikian, Gilbert. "A Critical Examination of Wayne Grudem's treatment of
kephale in Ancient Greek Texts." Appendix to Beyond Sex Roles. 2nd ed.
Grand Rapids: Baker, 1990, 215-52.

Cervin, Richard S. "Does Kepale Mean `Source' or `Authority Over' in Greek
Literature? A Rebuttal." Trinity Journal 10:1 (1989): 85-112.

Grudem, Wayne. "Does Kephale (`head') Mean `Source' or `Authority Over' in
Greek Literature? A Survey of 2,336 Examples." TrinJ 6 (1985): 38-59.

Grudem, Wayne. "The Meaning of Kepale (`Head'): A Response to Recent
Studies." TrinJ 11:1 (1990): 3-72.

Mickelsen, B. and A. "Response to `What does Kephale Mean in the New
Testament?' in Women, Authority, and the Bible. Ed. B. and A. Mickelson.
Downers Grove: Inter-Varsity, 1986, pp. 97-110, p. 124f.

Try an ATLA search as well.

Many scholars seem to deal with the meaning of kephale in the context of 1
Cor. 11:3 and with the issue of woman leadership
Is any of the list member aware of articles or books that explore kephale in
Pauline or deutero-Pauline context? I have great difficulty trying to
source some primary texts. Would appreciate any help. Thanks.

Ruth