corpus-paul - Re: The Mystery of Romans: the theme of- restoration of Israel

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Frich107 AT aol.com
  • To: corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: The Mystery of Romans: the theme of- restoration of Israel
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 04:29:10 EST

In a message dated 1/3/02 3:40:19 AM, nanosmd AT home.com writes:

< Yes, I do not believe those two options represent Paul's voice, although the
< latter is an attractive alternative, apart (for me), that is, from any
< notion that everyone is going to become Christians in the end (a reading
< that seems to defy the logic of Paul's criticism of gentile arrogance in the
< first place). And the evidence of historical reality appears to me, like you
< note, not to support the idea that things turned out as he believed they
< would in his lifetime; indeed, or since. Does that mean he was misled? or
< just mistaken? or that elements he believed needed to take place for the
< scenario he envisioned to develop failed to materialize, for whatever
< reasons--the continuing constraints of the present age.

It's interesting that Mark brings up the reasons for the unfulfilment of what
Paul says. In my own research I am pondering the thought of identifying
Paul's 'ministry' (for want of a better term) within the prophetic tradition.
Often it seems that prophecies given by Old Testament prophets such as
Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel et al. didn't actually happen because 'elements
(they) believed needed to take place for the scenario (they) envisioned to
develop failed to materialize'. For example the restoration of Israel that
Isaiah talks about doesn't happen, because the people do not do what is
required of them. Could the same then be said for Paul, as I think you are
saying?

As a result of this is it possible to identify Paul as someone operating in
the prophetic tradition (at the least), or even as a prophet? I know that
this is only one example, but nonetheless it is an important one for Paul, or
so it seems, which could be indicative of the larger picture for him. To
recap, is what Paul saying prophetic? If so, is it reliant on a certain
response from 'all' Israel that in fact didn't happen? Again, if so, does
this mean that Paul is a prophet, or at least someone operating within the
prophetic tradition of Israel?

Regards,
Fred Rich.

Ph.D. student, University of Sheffield.