corpus-paul - online (animated) maps of the empires of Alexander and his successors

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Jeffrey B. Gibson" <jgibson000 AT attbi.com>
  • To: Corpus-paul <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: online (animated) maps of the empires of Alexander and his successors
  • Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2002 09:59:04 -0600

With apologies for cross posting and for the slightly off topic nature
of this post

Is there online anywhere maps -- and in particular, a series of maps --
which show in chronological sequence the territories conquered, ruled
over by, and then lost to Alexander and his successors, particularly the
Ptolemys and the Selucids?

I'd also be very interested in knowing if there are similar maps which
demonstrate the expansion of Roman power from the Hellenistic age until
the time of Diocletian and Constantine.

Ideally, I'd like to see something that is animated -- that is to say,
something that is not just a series of maps, but which, like a movie,
has moving boundary lines. In other words, I'm seeking something which
is an animated version of the Penguin Atlas of the Ancient World.

Hoping I'm not to vague, I give thanks in advance for any suggestions of
where to look for all of this.

Yours,

Jeffrey Gibson

--
Jeffrey B. Gibson, D.Phil. (Oxon.)
1500 W. Pratt Blvd.

  • online (animated) maps of the empires of Alexander and his successors, Jeffrey B. Gibson, 01/02/2002