corpus-paul - Re: Tis the season for viruses and worms

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: Don Mills <donm AT softed.com>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Tis the season for viruses and worms
  • Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 08:52:40 +1300

At 12:55 13/12/01, Elli Elliott wrote:

-----<snip>-----
A friend warned me about a virus that is not detected by McAffee or Norton.
It's a sleeper and eventually wakes up and destroys the data on your hard
drive. I did not find it on the computer I'm sending this from, but it was
on the church computer and on the laptop.

To check for it, use START, FIND, FILES OR FOLDERS and check for a file named
SULFNBK.EXE. If you find it, DELETE it. (Do NOT open it!) Then empty your
Recyled folder.

If you have it, let everyone in your address book know.
-----<snip to end>-----

NO NO NO!!! Before sending out virus warnings, PLEASE check at
<http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/hoax.html> to see whether it's a hoax.
This one is, and a dangerous one at that! The information on SULFNBK.EXE at
the Symantec site reads (in part):

"Symantec Security Response encourages you to ignore any messages regarding
this hoax. It is harmless and is [intended] only to cause unwarranted concern.

"The ... hoax email was first reported in Brazil. The original email is in
Portuguese;" but it has been translated into a variety of languages.

"This particular email message is a hoax. The file that is mentioned in the
hoax, however, Sulfnbk.exe, is a Microsoft Windows utility that is used to
restore long file names ... ."

Removing the file on the basis of such an email is, therefore, potentially
problematic, though the Symantec site includes advice on how to restore it if
you've done this
(<http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/sulfnbk.exe.warning.html>).

Best wishes to the list (and to Elli also),

-- Don [now popping back into lurk mode]

Don Mills
Wellington
New Zealand