corpus-paul - Tis the season for viruses and worms

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Elli Elliott" <elli AT kci.net>
  • Subject: Tis the season for viruses and worms
  • Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 16:55:38 -0700

No. 1  THE VIRUS

A friend warned me about a virus that is not detected by McAffee or Norton.  It's a sleeper and eventually wakes up and destroys the data on your hard drive.  I did not find it on the computer I'm sending this from, but it was on the church computer and on the laptop.

To check for it, use START, FIND, FILES OR FOLDERS and check for a file named SULFNBK.EXE.  If you find it, DELETE it. (Do NOT open it!)  Then empty your Recyled folder.

If you have it, let everyone in your address book know.

No. 2 THE WORM

The computer that I'm sending this from became infected with a worm a couple of weeks ago.   I could not send mail until I removed it.  It disrupted my use of the internet from this computer until I was able to remove it.  I assumed anyone who caught it would have known by the time I could inform you.  I've just become aware that this may not be the case, and the worm may be functioning without your being aware of it if your computer is newer and faster than this one.

How you may have caught it -- You would have received a message from me or someone else who had it that looked like a reply to a message from you.  The message field was blank, but there was an attachment.  If you tried to open the attachment, you started the worm.  It started sending replies to your inbox with replies or random insulting titles.

This one is called the badtrans worm.  You can get rid of it with a free program from Norton.  To get it, go to their webpage (www.symantec.com).  At the bottom of the page is a section titled Tools and Downloads.  Click on Download Virus Removal tools.  The one you want has the word Badtrans in it.  It will give you all the information on what you should do.

Sorry for the inconvenience!

Elli

Elli Elliott
(The Rev. Dr. Susan M. Elliott)

Pastor, Zion United Church of Christ, Sterling, Colorado
and Immanuel Congregational United Church of Christ, Brush, Colorado
PhD, New Testament & Early Christianity, Loyola University Chicago

Church e-mail: ZionImmanuelUCC AT hotmail.com
Personal e-mail: elli AT kci.net