corpus-paul - Re: Jewish origins of apostle

corpus-paul AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Corpus-Paul

  • From: "Elli Elliott" <elli AT kci.net>
  • To: "Corpus-paul" <corpus-paul AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Jewish origins of apostle
  • Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2001 15:16:05 -0700

On the topic ot Paul's "apostleship" started by Fred Rich --

I suggested that the Imperial cult might provide better background than OT and/or Jewish origins.

Dale Walker replied:
<My understanding of the imperial cult is that its spread was a
matter of social networks and particularly imperial relations,
not missionary work. However, apostolos might be relevant
in regard to embassies. A kyrios with ekklesiai and an
euangelion could certainly have apostoloi. But I speak theoreticlly,
I haven't any inscriptions to quote. (One thing that is clear from
inscriptions is that people came to the emperor offering honors,
the emperor didn't go begging people to give him cult.)>

I confess that I'm thinking very much off the top of my head on this, but I think there is another direction worth exploring.

The line of investigation I'm suggesting perhaps requires that we rethink "missionary work" in light of the kinds of social networks and imperial relations you indicate.  We need to keep in mind that the imperial cult and the military, political, and economic might of the empire were not separate.  Conquest was as much a  matter of integrating the loyalties of key social sectors and influential individuals in the various cities and provinces as it was military power.  Honors to the emperor, the ubiquitous statues and temples, etc. were all a part of this extension of influence.  It was a symbiotic relationship.  The local patrons derived honor and status from a special relationship to the emperor, a relationship that was strengthened by the honors to the emperor that they organized and sponsored, including the activities of the imperial cult.  I would suggest that this kind of relationship can shed a great deal of light on Paul's language about his relationship to God and Christ as an "apostle" and the formation of his missionary project to win citizens of an alternative empire.

Elli Elliott
(The Rev. Dr. Susan M. Elliott)

Pastor, Zion United Church of Christ, Sterling, Colorado
and Immanuel Congregational United Church of Christ, Brush, Colorado
PhD, New Testament & Early Christianity, Loyola University Chicago

Church e-mail: ZionImmanuelUCC AT hotmail.com
Personal e-mail: elli AT kci.net